Professor Stuart Weinstein
Professor Stuart Weinstein, Counsel/Legal Risk Management Scientific Department,is an internationally recognised thought leader on legal risk management, governance and compliance and an expert on the impact of regulation in the banking industry.
A practising solicitor and an attorney licensed in California, District of Columbia and New York, Professor Weinstein advises SWIFT, banks, regulatory bodies and trade associations on variety of financial services regulatory issues. He has also worked as a consultant to various organisations including American International Group, Inc., Bar Standards Board,GM Europe, HSBC plc, International Compliance Association, International Securities Services Association, NHS Digital, The REaD Group andSWIFT.
Professor Weinstein is Reader in Legal Risk Management at Aston Business School, Birmingham. Aston is in the top 1% of business schools worldwide with triple accreditation from AMBA, AACSB and EQUIS. Prior to joining Aston, Professor Weinstein held management roles at Coventry Law School where he was Head of School and at the University of Hertfordshire where he was Associate Dean (Research and Enterprise).
Professor Weinstein practised as a lawyer in New York, California and served as General Counsel to the Daewoo Group of Companies in both Seoul and Los Angeles. He holds a Bachelor of Arts from Williams College, a Juris Doctor from Columbia University and a Master of Business Administration from University of Hertfordshire.He is also a workplace and commercial mediator.
Selected Publications & Media
Modern Legal Practice Journal 3rd edition:
"Legal risk and sound management judgement: can artificial intelligence make us better lawyers?" Jelena Schidzig & Stuart Weinstein, October 2017
- "Legal Risk Management, Governance and Compliance: Interdisciplinary Case Studies from Leading Experts" (with C. Wild), Globe Law and Business, 2016. ISBN: 9781909416512
- "Legal Governance, Risk Management and Compliance" (with C. Wild), Globe Law and Business, 2013.
Articles & Blogs
- Lexology Website, Globe Law and Business, Six rules to determine the winners and losers in post-Brexit Britain, 31 July 2016.
- Guest Article – The Impact of Brexit on the Financial Services Industry, SWIFT Institute Newsletter, 29 June 2016.
- Financial Times, “Legal Experts Answer the Big Questions on Brexit - Challenges that the UK faces following decision to leave the EU” (Quoted), FT, 24 June 2016